Crosspaltform accented characters

Leo Van den Brande leo_van_den_brande at wxs.nl
Sat Nov 13 22:59:00 CST 2004

Hi all,

Thanks, Ruslan, for your stimulating reaction.

Before misunderstandings creep in, the following:
Following an advise given in earlier discussions on the topic, at
present, I do not define anything when storing text, from RB but I do
define UTF8 on retrieval in RB, both under Mac OS and Windows. From
Ruslan's remarks it seems this was not correct.

If I understand it correctly, I should define 'MacRoman' when storing
in RB under Mac OS and  'WindowsLatin1' when storing under Windows.
When retrieving. I should first define 'WindowsLatin1' when retrieving
under Windows or 'MacRoman' when retrieving under Mac OS. Right?

In that case, on retrieval, I would have to do a second define to UTF8
on both the patforms, since they both operate under UTF8. Two defines
seem one too many.. Isn't one define to UTF8 enough?

I'm sure, some of the european readers of this message must have
solved this problem long ago! I will appreciate your help!

Ruslan, thanks for the suggestion with regards to making an XLM dump
for the conversion of the existing db's. I will try this out when the
present issue has been sorted out.

Leo