Crosspaltform accented characters

jda jda at his.com
Sat Nov 13 14:51:59 CST 2004

>Guys, anybody can enlighten this issue?
>German, Italian guys?!
>Please help to Leo.
>
>His original mistake IMHO was that Leo did store UTF8 text into Valentina
>1.x db. This did not work of course.

Storing UTF8 in Valentina 1.x is OK, as long as you are careful about
it (and don't want Valentina to search/sort).

I don't have a Windows machine, so I can't test this, but if
Valentina isn't doing any conversion behind your back, I wonder if
the problem isn't at the REALbasic end. If you define the text
encoding when you store the string and when you retrieve it, the data
should not be harmed:

If your text is stored as UTF8, when you retrieve the data you should
do something like

s = myCursor.Field("mytext").getString
s = DefineEncoding(s, encodings.utf8)

Of course, if you store it in some other encoding you must define it
as such when you retrieve it.

Jon