[VSDK] VDK_Text with unique attribute broken?

Eric Forget forgete at cafederic.com
Mon Nov 8 14:09:34 CST 2004

> On 11/8/04 8:52 PM, "Eric Forget" <forgete at cafederic.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Eric,
>
>> I don't see how this can be a feature, but anyway. I'm switching from
>> VDK_String to VDK_Text to reduce the size of the database. Some of my
>> customers felt that it was too big.
>
>> By using VDK_Text, I do not allow to
>> have longer values, just to taking a lot less space, most of the time. Is
>> there any other option available?
>
> Then you should use VarChar, not TEXT.
>
> Also what db.segmentSize you use ?
> Try it smaller e.g. 2-4Kb

Ok, I will try VarChar. For the segment size, I was using the default one
32K. Is there any speed penalty to using a smaller one?

Also, I'm reducing the block size of some TEXT, real ones this time. As far
as I understand I need to rebuild the database to allows this, right? What
is the best way, dumping in XML and reloading? I've seen OBL_Dump but
nothing to reload the database. Is there any sample code or documentation?

Thanks,

Éric

 Eric Forget                       Cafederic
 ForgetE at cafederic.com             <http://www.cafederic.com/>