[VSDK] VDK_Text with unique attribute broken?

Eric Forget forgete at cafederic.com
Mon Nov 8 13:52:15 CST 2004

Hi Ruslan,

I don't see how this can be a feature, but anyway. I'm switching from
VDK_String to VDK_Text to reduce the size of the database. Some of my
customers felt that it was too big. By using VDK_Text, I do not allow to
have longer values, just to taking a lot less space, most of the time. Is
there any other option available?

Éric

> Hi Eric,
>
> That was a FEATURE.
>
> What sense to have unique flag for text field ?!
>
> Index consider only the first 255 chars of string.
> Assume you have letters or notes.
> What sense to set Unique flag for TEXT ?
>

>> Is it just me or the "unique" attribute set on a VDK_Text is broken? It
>> looks like a bad initialization of a variable. The first search for
>> uniqueness is working. However, all the following is using the value of the
>> first search, which is definitively no longer unique.
>>
>> For example with starting values:
>>
>> Untitled 1
>> Untitled 2
>>
>> If I add "Untitled 3" it will compare with both "Untitled 1 and "Untitled 2"
>> and found it is unique. I will then have:
>>
>> Untitled 1
>> Untitled 2
>> Untitled 3
>>
>> If I then add "Untitled 4" it will compare "Untitled 3" with the 3 values
>> above and find that "Untitled 4" is not unique.
>>
>> I know this because I have my own compare function and I've put a trace in
>> it.

 Eric Forget                       Cafederic
 ForgetE at cafederic.com             <http://www.cafederic.com/>