ExportASCII question

Scott Runkel srunkel at hypix.com
Fri May 21 16:11:48 CDT 2004

> I have a db with fields that contain large texts with returns
> (paragraphs).  I am having trouble using Export ASCII with RETURN as a
> line delimiter because the RETURN is also used in the text. This wrecks
> havoc when I import the file into Excel,  (for example).

I think you might have to do some extra steps here, since I doubt whether the
exportASCII function is going to change. If it was me, I would probably use some
other character instead of RETURN, such as "|" or "^" or something else that
doesn't exist in the text. Then after export I would open the file and search
and replace all the line breaks/returns with some other character or combo such
as "*%*" (maybe in Word). Then I would search and replace the original "|" with
line breaks/returns. Then it would import correctly into Excel except you would
finally need to replace the "*%" with returns in Excel if that's possible.

There could be a better way, I don't know.

> Also, I get an error when trying to put in a path...
> exportASCII (gmycursor, the moviepath&"exported.txt", TAB, RETURN)

What error do you get here? A Valentina error or a Director one? What is the
error message or number?

Try setting a variable of the path and using the variable in the function call:

newPath = the moviepath & "exported.txt"
exportASCII (gmycursor, newPath, TAB, RETURN)

-SR

Scott Runkel
Director of Technology
Hypix Media, Inc.