[V4MD] Intermittent setMedia

Scott Runkel srunkel at hypix.com
Wed May 12 12:02:58 CDT 2004

Getting a little off-topic, but I wanted to update the list on my test of vList
as an alternative to Valentina for storing the media of #text members. I have
found:

1. When retrieving the media back into a #text member, Valentina is about 2-3
times faster. Of course, we're talking the difference between 3 ms and 6 ms, so
I'm not worried about this. I've placed each #text member in a separate vList
file on disk.

2. The same type of problems occur with vList as occurred with Valentina! These
are:
    a. Once in a while when I retrieve the media, the member is blank. No error,
just a blank #text member. This has happened about 1 of every 250 members with
Valentina. It's easily fixed by resaving the media. Valentina had about the same
rate, maybe slightly more.

    b. Once in a while when I retrieve the media, Director crashes. This was
also happening with Valentina.

My only conclusion currently is that using member.media is a bit fragile if the
data is not saved exactly right. I think the problems are started during save
but only show up during retrieval.

-SR

Scott Runkel
Director of Technology