[V4RB] Valentina 2.0 installation

Brendan Murphy bmurf at comcast.net
Tue May 11 10:05:00 CDT 2004

Ruslan Zasukhin responded:
>> One cuestion: Will the final version of Valentina 2.0 require the
>> installation of several components? or will be possible to pack all in
>> the application executable?
>
> Valentina 2.0 will looks as
>
>     V4RB plguin  + Vcomponents folder.
>
> Your final application will look now as
>
>     app.exe + Vcomponents folder.
>

> Valentina 2.0 is much more complex by structure,
> So it is many advantages to keep components separately.
> Valentina 2.0 have own plugin system.

Please explain in more detail, what are these advantages? I want
to use 2.0 as I use 1.10 today as a totally embedded system within
my application. Having a separate folder next to my application is
just another support hassle I would rather avoid.

>> One of the advantages of the current
>> version of V4RB is that  it not requiere any installation in the final
>> user computer.
>
> This was true only for V4RB MAC. Right?
> Even V4RB WIN have install dll into users' system.

Under Win32 it is done automatically for us by the RS runtime
library! When it is done, it removes them.

Without further explanation of the benefits for you, my first
inclination is to say thumbs down on a separate components folder.
Adding complexity for my end users is not a feature in my eyes.

I don't want a plugin system with Valentina! This is a form of dll
hell for my end users. Very bad idea if this architecture is
"forced" upon us. You need to give us an option where it will be
all self contained in the application if we choose so.