Suggestion for new Feature. Valentina Server + Foxpro

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun May 9 09:41:59 CDT 2004

On 5/9/04 4:09 AM, "Simon White" <Simon_White at on.aibn.com> wrote:

Hi Simon,

> Yes I can read/write data from VCursor to VFP IDE.  However, that means I
> lose the data handling features that VFP has regarding tables.  This is
> major loss because VFP is very fast and flexible in what can be done with
> tables.

Interesting, have you ever compare speed of Fox tables to native Valentina
db?

I have hear many good words about Fox, its speed and flexibility,
But it is DBF a last of end, and regular index format.
So I can expect that Valentina beat Fox.

> It was for this reason that MS developed the CursorAdapter class.  It
> converts data from ODBC, ADO and XML backends into VFP tables so that your
> program can work exactly as if the data existed natively in VFP tables.

I see, but any import/export means DOUBLE copying of data.
So this is always slower way.

> The
> CursorAdapter class is bound to a VFP table and the changes made to the
> table are automatically sent back to the server.  The SQL
> Update/Insert/Delete commands can be customized so you can make it work just
> aboout any way you please.  So in a sense you get the best of both worlds.

Looks to be buffered-query

> You can have a robust, secure data server and use VFP to manipulate the data
> in VFP tables.  That is why I began investigating Valentina with this same
> technique.

I see.

But let query finds 100,000 records.
I think you are not going LOAD 100,000 records from remote robust server?
Such operation will take minutes because of network bottleneck.

> Having experimented with Valentina I understand how to use it in an Object
> Oriented way without VFP tables which provides another approach that I might
> consider.  It would help greatly if a VFP listbox could be bound to a
> VCursor so that you could use it to navigate through a cursor.

Right!

I am shure that Visual BASIC have such conception as DataSource

VB developer can easy in 5 minutes define DataSource around Vcursor,
And all VB controls wil get data from this DataSource.

May be Fox also have something similar

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com