V4RB 1.1 & Encoding

keatk at comcast.net keatk at comcast.net
Fri May 7 18:03:09 CDT 2004

I Am wrtting what was supposed to be a quick small DB app to help process/compile some data at work.

I tried the new RealDB in 5.5.2b4 but I get the IDE and built App quitting without even an RB exception on the Mac (I get the report to apple dialog) and troubleshooting it is taking too long...

So I want to go back to valentina - but I've not used it in awhile.. What to I have to watchout for encoding wise using V4RB 1.1 with RB 5.5.* as it's default strings are now UTF8...

So what are the pitfalls?

Do I have to convert everything to ASCII type encoding including VObject names and SQL command strings (not just the data to be stored), before passing it to V4RB methods?

Actually my data originates on Win32 so for the Data I an using ISOLatin1.

Thanks,
- karen