Changing a Field's Type?

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Wed May 5 12:00:39 CDT 2004

>I'd like to know if there's a way to change a VarChar field to a UShort in
>code without having to go to VAPP to do it. I know I can delete the VarChar
>field and recreate a new field that's UShort, but I'll lose all the data
>currently in that field of the table when I do it, right?
>
>Any suggestions would be appreciated,
>
>Ken Ray

Ken, you won't loose data if you first create a new field, then copy
all data from old to new, and then delete. Concerting directly does
not work for all fields and usually data is lost (it is kept reliably
only when converting to string/varchar). I have once investigated
this in detail but it was a few years a go and a few versions of
Valentina back.

Robert