RTF Import

jda jda at his.com
Wed Mar 31 21:52:35 CST 2004

>>  >The client asked me if my database engine (Valentina, that is) can
>>>handle Rich Text Format. I don't know what sort of database file
>>>they would give me to import to valentina, though.  Just wondering
>>>if anyone had any experience with this.
>>>

>>RTF is just text (ASCII at that). You can store it in any field that
>>handles text (it can get long, depending on how many styles and fonts
>>you have, so you probably want something like a text field).
>>*Interpreting* the RTF and rendering it into human-readable styled
>>text is up to the developer...
>

>Actually, I believe that RTF may *not* be ASCII - as the textual
>content may include double-byte or Unicode text.
>
>I think what you mean is that the style and font info is stored as
>text, rather than in a binary format.
>
>However, even then, the font name may also not be ASCII (e.g.
>Chinese font names)
>
>John

I think not. RTF is ASCII. You can *encode* Unicode in RTF by
supplying the actual codepoint value (UTF-16 only), but the RTF
*representation* is ASCII. RTF data itself is ASCII, NOT Unicode or
any other encoding. Please refer to the MS RTF definition
documentation for details. If  you don't have it, I can send it to
you.

Jon