[FAQ] Problems applying the Valentina Data Model

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Mar 17 23:17:03 CST 2004

On 3/17/04 11:10 PM, "Juergen Schreck" <juergen.schreck at innernine.com>
wrote:

>> 3) if you lazy to write RecID each time, you can use
>>   another Valentina extention:
>>
>>       SELECT ** FROM T
>>
>> This select YOUR normal fields, and BaseObject methods (calculated fields).
>> Hmm, I not sure now if this also selects RecID.
>
> For your enlightment, (and mine as well) - it does :-)
>
> What really got me confused and almost made me go back to the RDB model was
> inconsistency in Valentina documentation. In the tutorial on page 20 it
> says:
>
> SELECT *
> FROM Person, Task
> WHERE person.id = task.person_ptr AND byte_fld < 10 AND status = 1
> ORDER BY string_fld DESC
>
> But person doesn't have and ID field. This should be RecID. Took me a while
> to figure out.

Why you think that Person do not have ID field???

Valentina give you 2 ways:

1) RDB way

    then you MUST manually make ID field,
    and then person_ptr will be NOT ObjectPTr

2) ObjectPtr way

    then you use RecID
    and person_ptr you make as ObjectPtr field

It looks that on page 20, example show query for RDB way.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com