[FAQ] Problems applying the Valentina Data Model

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Mar 17 22:45:45 CST 2004

On 3/17/04 10:37 PM, "juergen.schreck at innernine.com"
<juergen.schreck at innernine.com> wrote:

> Name:      Juergen Schreck
>
> Question regarding: v4rb

Hi Jurgen,

> Why is it necessary to explicitly request the recid when SELECTing records
> from a table? In order to fetch related records in the future, one might need
> to know the recid. But it can't be extracted from a cursor.
>
> e.g. I can do this:
>
> SELECT recid, name FROM categories
>
> This will give me the recid for future use, but
>
> SELECT * FROM categories
>
> does not return the recid and, like I said the cursor won't provide access to
> it (probably as a result of it not being in the set)
>
> Doesn't the * syntax suggest that I want ALL columns?

But you self have not create RecID field, right?   :-)

So why you expect to see NOT YOUR field by SELECT * ?
This will be not logical.

This is why we

1) follow to standard. SELECT * returns only YOUR fields.

2) but we still able to have own hidden fields in table
    and SELECT them by name.

3) if you lazy to write RecID each time, you can use
    another Valentina extention:

        SELECT ** FROM T

This select YOUR normal fields, and BaseObject methods (calculated fields).
Hmm, I not sure now if this also selects RecID.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com