language in database

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Mar 16 16:36:00 CST 2004

>  > I can't set certains language to varchar field.
>>
>>  For example, If I choose Greek in the menu, when I click on "create",
>>  the language change to ascii. It the same thing with portuguese and
>>  some other languages.
>
>This means that on your computer there is no Greek script.

But this can't be right, Ruslan. IMHO, I must be able to set a
language of a field even if I do not have apropriate script (my
client does or I have it on another computer). The content should
display in ascii if I decide to view it without the proper script,
but the language setting should stick.

If the language does not stick, what happens if I have greek script
and create a greek field, then I pass the db to a client who opens it
on a computer without greek script, realizes the mistake, then copies
to another computer. Will it then show in greek or did opening it on
a computer without greek removed the language setting and the
database is so-do-speak damaged?

Robert