[OT] Need help compiling with gcc

Martin Kloss martin.kloss at gmx.de
Sat Mar 13 19:09:28 CST 2004

At 17:03 13.03.2004, you wrote:
>I want to compile YAZ (http://www.indexdata.dk/yaz/). It is C/C++, and I
>do see files called makefile.in and makefile.am. I think the output will
>be a library I can link against (with CodeWarrior). There are 138 items in
>the src folder (most .c files, but the web site says it's C/C++
>programmer's toolkit).

Hi Jon,

what system are you on ? for OSX, Linux and most other UNIX systems, you'd
only need to type

./configure

Sometimes you will have to also specify some options here, such as
the install path or where certain libs are, but that should all be mentioned
in the README or INSTALL file.

You will then see the project being configured for compilation, which
you can start after a successful configuration by typing:

make

If that gives you an error, you will have to define the path to make
in your shell, but usually that should be the case, provided you have
gcc or some other compiler installed

After "make" has finished, you can test the project by typing:

make test

and finally install the compiled stuff by typing:

make install

After that you're done and should be ready to use the program from
the directory you installed it to.

Martin.

Martin Kloss

Like the author? Buy the book: