[V4MD] recId, Insert and Cursor question

X Y xyzabc1010 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 12:54:22 CST 2004

Hi All,
I am trying to optimize my query and was wondering if
this was the correct way to do insertions with object
ptrs that refer to another table. Lets say I have an
Employee, Department table where each Employee in the
Employee table has a department. (deptObjPtr).
During insert I need to insert the recId of the
Department into deptObjPtr. The way I do this is to
thru a query "SELECT recID FROM Department WHERE
deptName = 'FOO'" and then I do the insertion.

Is there another way I can do an insert with one
query? instead of 2 (1 being getting the recId, and 2
being the actual insert)

thnx