Difference between vFloat and vDouble in representing the number

Chris Kelly c.kelly at qfsaustralia.com.au
Sat Mar 6 11:25:48 CST 2004

Hey there,

I have been working on a table and was using vDouble field.
However after doing an import I had one number 70.6 which was imported
into the vDouble Field.
When I was doing a query using my app and also Valentina Carbon the
number was coming back as 70.599999999999

Excuse my ignorance but what gives ?

I converted the field to vFloat and the number comes back as it went in
ie 70.6

Even though I have fixed the problem by going to vFloat , I am
interested in finding out why the difference in representation .
PS - even though the number comes back out as 70.5999999999999 , I
could actually find it by doing a search in field when it was a vDouble
  by entering 70.6

Kind Regards
Chris Kelly
IT Manager