large BLOB data slow to load

Chris Sheffield cm_sheffield at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 30 13:36:19 CDT 2004

Ruslan,

> Size of this db ?

This database is about 8 MB.  If all the records were
there, it would be around 130 MB.  The size of the
database doesn't seem to make a difference.  I tested
using this one and still experience the slow loading.

> This is only database?
>
> So you do on this db which query ?

I'm using the "SQLSelect" function with the query
"SELECT data FROM Stories WHERE StoryNumber=1".  And,
once again, I am using a server-side cursor.

Once I get the cursor, I use the "Cursor_GetFieldRef"
function to get a reference to the "data" field.

  put Valentina("Cursor_GetFieldRef", tRecID, "data")
into tFldRef

Then I use "Binary_ReadData" like this:

  get Valentina("Binary_ReadData", tFldRef,
"gStackContents", Valentina("BLOB_GetDataSize",
tFldRef))

This all works fine except that it is really slow with
a server database.

> How many records is found ?

Just one.

> Have you try query this db under Vserver from
> Vstudio?
> It can specify client or server side cursor to use.

Yes, and it's slow there too.

> You work with VXCMD or other ?

Yes, VXCMD.

> Platform of server? MAC ?
> Of client ?

Platform of server is Mac, and platform of clients are
OS X, OS 9, and all versions of Windows.  The client
platform doesn't make a difference.

I'm confident that if you'll take this database and
run a query on it, you'll see what I mean.  Sometimes
it takes as much as 10 or 15 seconds, when it should
only take 2 or 3 at the most.

Thanks,

=====
Chris Sheffield