RB Destructors - Still Confused

Charles Yeomans yeomans at desuetude.com
Sat Jun 26 12:23:02 CDT 2004

On Jun 26, 2004, at 11:25 AM, Ian Devaney wrote:

> I mentioned a while ago that I was having trouble tracking down a
> database reference in my app that was leaving base objects and fields
> in the runtime.objects info.
>
> I'm still none the wiser and even more confused.
>
> When I look at these objects in the debugger, the base objects all
> have a "database" property that is "nil".
>
> I presume this means I have successfully destroyed the references to
> their parent databases.
>
> If this is the case, why would these objects still exist?

Probably because some other object is hanging onto a reference.  When
you close the database, are you calling VDatabase.Close?  I don't know
how Valentina is doing things internally, but it might be that you
should call the Close function so that Valentina can clean up any
circular references.

Otherwise, you're going to have to start working through the code to
see where references to objects are assigned and released.