threads and database

olivier vidal vidal_olivier at yahoo.fr
Thu Jun 24 15:47:37 CDT 2004

thank you very much Marc and Ruslan.

Imagine a shop.
In this shop, there is a single computer.
4 screens and 4 mice are connected on this computer. (4 screens : mode
"Extended Desktop" on Mac, with special graphics board. 4 screens
behave as a single screen. (Example: 4 screens with a resolution of
1024X768 will give the illusion for the computer of a single screen of
4096X768))

Imagine a software (or driver) which allows the use of several mice
simultaneously on the same computer. Mice which can be simultaneously
clicked.

There are several salesmen and every salesman can use a screen and a
mouse ( a "virtual computer") to make a sale or for example see the
stock of an product.
The salesmen must be able to use "4 virtual computers" simultaneously.
Naturally, the software must be fast and it does not have to it have of
wait in the screen there.

The idea is to use a single software on this computer.
I also think that the best solution is to use a single window
distributed on 4 screens (a single window or a single application, so
that on 4 screens every window of screen is active and answers the
click first one).
As there is only a single computer, I think effectively that the access
to the database should be very fast, even with 4 simultaneous attempts
of access.

Is it even really necessary in that case (for the database) to use
threads? (Ruslan, in realbasic threads is slow). There will be little
of update on the data, a great majority of cursors will be shared lock
(read only) and if it is not possible temporarily to access to data, I
can re-try in a loop. It should be very fast and there should be no
wait (I hope). ??

On the other hand, for the graphic interface and the posting, I suppose
that I should use threads. (Other solution?)

I hope that Realsoftware is quickly going to correct the problem of
speed with threads.

thanks

olivier