V4MD: reducing file size

Andrew Sinning andrew at learningware.com
Tue Jun 22 12:30:21 CDT 2004

Ruslan,

There must be something wrong with the structure of my database.  Or
maybe I don't understand the nature of the .dat file.

I went back to my original db with all the unwanted entries in it.  I
did a dump and loaddump in order to compress.  Here's what I got:

the dump.txt (an XML file) : 12Mb
the .vdb:     77Kb
the .ind:  1,025Kb
the .dat:  4,673Kb
the .blb:    993

Then, I ran an number of SQLExecute("DELETE ....") queries, removing 90%
of the entries in the database.  Now when I do a dump and loaddump I get
the following:

the dump.txt (an XML file) : ONLY 1.6Mb
the .vdb:     77Kb  (same as before)
the .ind:  1,089Kb  (actually bigger?)
the .dat:  4,673Kb  (EXACTLY the same as before)
the .blb:    289Kb  (much smaller that before, as expected)

Can you please help explain to me why the .dat file isn't getting any
smaller?  What is this file for?

Thanks.