V4RB 1.10 RB 5.5 cursors and server

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Jun 14 09:20:13 CDT 2004

On 6/14/04 9:05 AM, "olivier vidal" <vidal_olivier at yahoo.fr> wrote:

Hi Oliver,

> I shall want later that my application works in client-server mode.
> (With Valentina server)
>
> I have the impression, that to have a good client-server behavior, it
> would be necessary, often, that cursors (read only or read / write)
> remain opened little time.
>
> But in that case, it obliges to open and to close, often, little
> cursors a lot. Right?
> That does not slow down too much the application?

Right.

The main slow down will give you network.

And since you talk about Server solution, then you think in the first turn
about multi-user access. In this case important is that one user have affect
other users as little as possible.

The main rule in multi-user solution:
    - select as few record as possible
    - select as few fields as possible
    - release resources (cursors) as fast as possible.

> I suppose that the solution is to have a lot of cache memory, when it
> is possible...

No bigger than with local in fact.

Assume you have db 50MB then the best cache size for it 50 MB + little more
just in case.

Then your db will act very fast.

Although keep in mind Valentina 1.x is not very effective with cache more
than 20-25MB. Valentina 2.0 have fix this.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com