V4RB 1.1 RB 5.5 Some questions about language

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Jun 11 15:24:49 CDT 2004

On 6/11/04 11:12 AM, "olivier vidal" <vidal_olivier at yahoo.fr> wrote:

Hi Oliver,

> Some questions about language
>
> 1-the property " language " serves only for sortings?

No, e.g. Functions upper() also take it into account.

And SEARCH also use that, because it compare() strings using language.

> 2 - my software has to work on Mac and PC, in divers western languages.
> EACH customer uses the software on a SINGLE platform (mac or pc) and in
> a SINGLE language. The software does not need to be multilingual, he
> can be sold every time for a precise platform and in a precise
> language.
>
> What is the best way of proceeding? In terms of speed and security ?

No difference.

Each your string-related field should have language property.

> Realbasic working now there unicode UTF8, it is necessary to verify and
> to change the coding (e.g. UTF8-> MacRoman or UTF8-> WindowsLatin1...)
> before any writing/updating in the valentina database ?

It seems yes

Try isolate this into 2 functions, for easy changing in Valentina 2.0

> Is it necessary for every reading of a data in Valentina, to re-change
> the coding of the string (e.g. macRoman - > UTF8) so that realbasic
> exploit it correctly?

yes

> If, one day, I wish that my software works with oriental languages, I
> have to take precautions from now on?

Frankly saying don't know.
I think UTF16/UTF8 must solve problems.

Direction of drawing is question of GUI.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com