Reindex Success?

Keith DeLong delong at redcort.com
Thu Jun 10 13:11:57 CDT 2004

Hi Ruslan,
It's been a while since we've chatted.

>> dim res as integer = myDB.SqlExecute("REINDEX DATABASE")
>> msgbox str(res) + EndOfLine + myDB.errstring
>>

>> I get res = 0 and a string of 'no error'
>>
>> However the modification date of the .ind file does not change.
>
> That is right. REINDEX do not trash .ind file, because it may contain files
> that are not indexes.
>
> It simply rebuild index after index.

But when it rebuilds the index, this should be written to the .ind file so
the modification date of the .ind file should change. Right?

In my tests the file size and modification date do not change after a
reindex. Can you explain this?

> You know, it looks you have raise good question.
>
> Right now it is not possible to see if it was done fine.
>
> Btw, in 2.0  we will get working diagnose() for indexes!
> This will allow us open eyes: if index is good now.

I'm looking forward to 2.0 and I understand it is properly your focus.

As I've mentioned before, I'll be shipping apps with version 1 for at least
6-9 months after 2.0 is finally released. I know you've disagreed, but
there's so much new I will need to let version 2 mature and stabilize many
months before rolling out a commercial release embedded with version 2.

Because of this I would be very pleased if you'd make a short list of 1.10
fixes to be done at some point. I'd gladly pay a v1 upgrade fee to see
version 1 continue to be supported and fixed as appropriate for the next
year to 18 months.

Keith DeLong