big table V4RB 1.10, RB 5.52, OS X 10.3

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Jun 5 21:57:02 CDT 2004

On 6/5/04 3:23 PM, "olivier vidal" <vidal_olivier at yahoo.fr> wrote:

Hi Oliver,

> last question :
>

> What do you think about this :
>
> "the software use an access to the mass memory very specific (hard
> disk).
> Indeed, the files of its database are all in "direct access". That is
> that these files are all created, in the installation, in their maximal
> dimension.
> Then, any writing made in the database makes no change in the position
> of a file on the disk and thus, consistently, no modification of FAT of
> the OS is not generated."
>
> This POS software indicates in its documentation a big security thanks
> to its "direct access ". If there is a crash, there is sharply less
> risk of corrupting FAT and the data.
> Is it true?

Frankly saying I am not very care about this.

For e.g. my last 10 years of work with computers, I have never see
corruption in OS's FAT which cause losing of data in the file.

In theory, yes, this reduce risk of course.

> If yes, you advise this way of working with Valentina ?
> i.e. , in the installation of the software, create automatically the
> totality of the recordings (products...)?
> The software will never use ADD / DELETE but only UPDATE.

I will recommend you just to have separate .ind file in your db.

Then changes of DATA will go into .dat file
And all other changes will go to .ind file -> reducing risks.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com