accented characters, RegEx, temporary table

olivier vidal_olivier at yahoo.fr
Mon Jul 26 18:02:30 CDT 2004

> Hmm, and how it can be? Even when we will have unicode?
>
> It looks that to be able do this, we need add into upper() function
> one more
> parameter. Something as "IgnoreAccents". Right?

Yes, it would be perfect ! and very very useful for languages as French
or Spanish.

Other questions, please :

I have a database, empty. Cache memory 20mo. 2 string fields (38
characters), indexed.

I add 100 000 recordings : 1 minute 20 seconds (.dat file : 4 Mo, .ind
: 13.2 Mo)
if encodings : time +25% ! (realbasic)
Clear database
I add 150 000 recordings : 2 minutes 20 seconds (.dat : 5.7 Mo, .ind :
19.5 Mo)
Clear database
I add 200 000 recordings : 9 minutes 2 seconds (.dat : 7.4 Mo, .ind :
25.7 Mo)

If only once I begin again with a new empty database.
I add 500 000 recordings : several hours !

Why from 200 000 recordings, the time is not proportional ?
Is it always necessary to make this type of operations several times
(eg 5 X 100 000 additions of recordings) ?

- operations with RegEx are they relatively fast ?
Are they really practicable that 300 or 500 000 recordings ? (with a
string of 40 characters)

-last question :
I have a database of adresses. This db can reach more than a million
adresses.
Let us can be a search on a temporary table ? :

-the customer type at first the zip code (postcode)
We obtain a first list sharply less important than the first one (eg
100 000 adresses)

-the customer makes now a search on a street. So that it is fast, the
search would have to can be made on group
of recordings corresponding to the first search on the zip code (on 100
000 recordings), and not on full database (1 000 000 recordings).
it is possible with valentina ?

thank you very much Ruslan,

olivier