server release

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Jul 19 16:22:24 CDT 2004

On 7/19/04 3:20 PM, "Bram Van Steenlandt" <van.steenlandt.nv at pandora.be>
wrote:

>> To repair database ?
>> If it is corrupted then it is very hard.
> So suppose the power goes down and the database gets corrupted, then I
> have no way of saving my data ?

IF you use Flushes correctly then chances to get corrupted dbs
are close to ZERO.

Somebody on Valentina list have point that he have 10,000 installations of
his app, and for months they did not have any corruptions.

> If so , how good are the backup possibilities of Vserver , can I make
> regular backups to different locations automaticly (like FM server for
> example)

This is special story.

We have study this task: HOT BACKUP.

As far as we see:

1) you sure you need this ?

    Assume you have HUGE db files. Say 100MB.
    If you SIMPLY in FINDER will do COPY you will need just 5 seconds.

And if you will try HOT BACKUP from big DBMS this will take minutes.
Because inside they must LOCK records, monitor changes, prevent changes for
not backuped yet records.

2) Hmm, Igor, what about next idea which we can make in 5 minutes of work.
    to Vserver we add new admin command

        Vserver.BackUp( disk_location )

Vserver will wait until all WRITE commands finish,
And it will prevent new WRITE commands until finish.

As only all WRITE commands gone, then we can simply duplicate db files into
specified locations on the HIGHEST POSSIBLE speed.

Igor, what you think?

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com