Text columns

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Jul 18 09:10:15 CDT 2004

On 7/18/04 8:42 AM, "Norman Palardy" <palardyn at shaw.ca> wrote:

>>> OK
>>> Tried changing the column to text with word indexes.
>>> No difference in my application.
>>
>> No!
>>
>> You need TEXT with NO word indexes.
>
> OK.
> Which document explain the differences between Valentina's word indexes
> and other forms ?
>

>>> This query
>>> select indexEntry from DTab where indexEntry = '45'
>>
>> You have data as   008.45
>>                      ^^
>>

>> If you set IndexByWords then Valentina split this on 2 words
>>
>>         "008" and "45"
>>
>> So your search find EXACT match
>>
>>         45 = 45
>
> I see. Which document explains Valentina's word indexing
> Would the Valentina Kernel have this explanation

Yes,

    Valentina Kernel -- describe kernel features.
    V4RB Reference -- describe API of V4RB

> Obviously it's something that I need to understand but I have missed
> reading anuthing that made me see that I should have the word index
> off.

Well, I think it is quite naturally.

RecID    TEXT with Index by words.
--------------------------------------
1       "008.45"

Valentina for THIS record add into index 2 entries:

        008     1
        45      1

So when you do search
    WHERE fldText = '45'

You find in index second entry, and therefore record 1 is selected.

How Valentina break string on words:
    again it try do this naturally
    spaces, punctuations -- all these are breakers.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com