REALLY strange bug.

Deane Venske deane.venske at eduss.com
Wed Jul 14 14:49:53 CDT 2004

Hi guys,

Well this one had me going all day...

I have a DB with a large amount of users, let's just say the user and
userDetails table.
Now I have a list box I select users from then do a mass deletion.
I'm basically getting each ID to be deleted and executing the following:
DELETE FROM user WHERE userID = xxx
flush db
DELETE FROM userDetails WHERE userID = xxx
flush db

At the end, whether I started with 1000 users or 500 users the records
 from userID 223 to 255 (I don't delete userID 1) do not get deleted and
are in fact then not able to be removed from the DB using SQL. Even in
studio. I can delete the user from the data browser, or if I user "DELETE
 FROM user" without a WHERE clause. Can't even see the data with a SELECT *
 FROM user WHERE userID = 223 query. BUT can see data with a SELECT * FROM
user query.

If I delete the first 200 users then CLOSE my application, close any
connections to the DB then open it again and try delete the next 200 users
it only gets through the first 32.

V Studio does not have problems like this and I imagine what is going on
is that the RB API works fine, but the SQL interface has bugs when it
comes to too many transactions in the way I am executing them. This
problem happens whether or not I flush after each query.

PLEASE help me on this one. There is little I can do on my side unless I
change everything to rather use API than SQL, but then I don't want to do
that, I want to use SQL.

If v2 is going to be the answer then how much work is needed in changing
my code, and is v2 stable enough for release, because this product is
already out there but users want the ability to delete multiple users from
the system.

Best Regards,
Deane Venske