Searching with like and \A

Scott Runkel srunkel at hypix.com
Tue Jul 13 18:46:46 CDT 2004

I'm sure there's a simple explanation, but...

I have about 770 records with various fields, one of which is called "alltext".
It's type text, sementsize 1024, ascii, indexed, and indexed by words.

When I do the following, I get all records (which is correct):

    SELECT alltext FROM pir WHERE alltext like 'Pediatrics' NO_CASE

But when I do the following, I get only 1 record, in which "Pediatrics" happens
to be the first word:

    SELECT alltext FROM pir WHERE alltext like '\APediatrics' NO_CASE

But I should still get all the records because they all have at least one
mention of the word "pediatrics" in them. The same thing happens for any other
term: 'boy' I get 304 hits, but '\Aboy' I get 0.

My goal is to avoid hits where the user typed, say, "form" and it's finding
"information" and "formation" etc. also.

What am I doing wrong? (This is V4MD, but the same thing happens in Valentina
Studio, so I don't think that's relevant.)

-SR

Scott Runkel
Director of Technology
Hypix Media, Inc.