V4MD, Text or VarChar

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Jul 12 17:28:59 CDT 2004

On 7/12/04 5:21 PM, "Chuck Neal" <chuck at mediamacros.com> wrote:

> One question.  If I store a varchar field and a text field, which will be
> larger?  Does the varChar use the whole size or just the filled portion?

The main Difference between them
    VarChar have limit
    TEXT field have no limit in size of value.

VarChar[504]    -> this is maximal string you can store
Text[1024]      -> this is one segment size = 1KB, but you can have
                    any number of segments.

VarChar you should choose if you know that your strings are in range for
example 20-2000 bytes. Then you make VarChar[2000].
You will NOT be able store string with length 2001 byte

If you NEVER know your maximal length, for a string, you should use TEXT
field, but no need set huge segment size. Set it to 512 for example.

TEXT field is good for example for fields Notes, Letter Text, ...

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com