Valentina 2.0. -- What is your 3 DREAM features?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Jan 31 22:55:18 CST 2004

on 1/31/04 10:32 PM, Norman Palardy at palardyn at shaw.ca wrote:

>> You have not explain,
>>
>> So this PLUGIN on server side...how it will talk with Oracle?
>> Using ODBC? Or using their own CLIENT ?
>
> Personally I'd recommend using the Oracle OCI. But, with a well defined
> API for plugins I could use any transport (ODBC or OCI) to make this
> table available to Valentina.
>
>> Norman, I wonder, are you C++ developer?
>
> I am.

Interesting. I did not know this.

>> I think such feature:
>>
>>     plugin of foreign DBMS tables
>>
>> Really can be added to Valentina 2.0 relatively easy.
>>
>> We have I_Table interface.
>> So it needs just implement this interface for Oracle table.
>
> Very cool. And this could/would be in the server itself ? Or on my
> client ?

On server.

> The reason I'd want this set up in the server is then to any developer
> using the server these tables are normal tables usable in any query. no
> special handling required.

I understand this.

> If I have to do this on the client side I could do that with multiple
> RB plugins (or other IDE's equivalents) and manually "join" these
> tables.

Look.

We are going to have in the Valentina 2.0 own plugin system.
We have made some testing to make it work on all platforms.
We have no need make complex pluigns, so that was not very hard.

As plugins we see

-- Import/exporter
-- I_Value subclasses
-- I_Field subclasses
-- functions
-- Encryptors
-- Compressors

In fact, with some small changes we can make any Valentina interface to be
pluggable.

>From our talk, I see now that it is possible to make as plugin I_Table also.
Then to get your dream it needs just implement I_Table subclass,
For example

    Table_ODBC
    Table_Oracle

This interface, just require general Table functionality
E.g. NextRecord, get_FieldCount(), get_Field( Name ), ..

Hmm, interesting.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com