Valentina 2.0. -- What is your 3 DREAM features? // SET PROPERTY

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Sat Jan 31 20:14:58 CST 2004

>  >>> -- be able to store single global/persistent values easily (using
>>>
>>>  Close to SET PROPERTY.
>>
>>  Property of what? I must have missed this topic somehow. But if they
>>  allow me to maintain single global values, I am game. But make them
>>  available in direct API as well.
>
>I have think about
>
>     GLOBAL PROPERTIES
>     INI FILE properties
>     database scope
>     Table scope
>     Field scope

A yes, that will do. For me database and table level will suffice.

Isn't global the same as database above? Or do you have a way to
store properties that apply to all databases?

Ini file things must be specific for windows only. But is it needed?
Our applications can use their own pref files for external storage.

>And again note, from one side I'd prefer not extend direct API.
>It is very hard synchronies it for many languages.
>
>On the other hand on this way a lots of power.

You could do it with a single call to set and another to retrieve, so
the impact on API would not be so drastic.

I understand that SQL way has its advantages but it is also somewhat
of a bother having to construct SQL query, then call SQLSelect or
SQLExecute, have the engine parse the query, execute it, and finally
return results. A single direct call seems simpler and more
effective, particularly where every bit of performance counts (like
running as a web server cgi).

Robert