[VServer] OSX Client reconnect

Igor Gomon giv at tlc.kherson.ua
Sat Jan 31 10:30:25 CST 2004

Hi Erich,

> >  > - When a database disconnect due to time limit of server occurs we
> >  > are getting severe crashes of the director app (error 9).
> >  > The question is: What do we need to do after such a disconnect on
OSX?

> >  > What procedure is needed to reconnect the client?
> >
> >Yes you can reconnect.
When the client detected that server disconnected it due to the timeout,
first of all it(client) closes connection to the server, and then sets error
code 1023: Connection timed out.
So to reconnect in such case you can simply open it again with the
same set of parameters, i.e.
    OpenDataBase(<the same database name>);
But keep in mind, that all your stored references to all database objects
(such like cursors, fields, tables) became invalid by that time, when you
got 1023 error.

> >BTW, if you EXPECT to get long time on query, e.g. Db is big, query is
> >complex, you can simply set timeout much longer to avoid such disconnect.
> >V4MD have commend to change timeout on client.
>
> I would like to.
> But anytime the disconnect occurs, my App crashes, no matter what I try to
do.
> I tried:
> - close database and shutdownvalentina
> - only shutdownvalentina
> - nothing
You DO NOT need to call any of these routines since at this moment
connection already closed.

> In each and any of these cases, before I even try to reconnect I get
> an error 9 and poof...
What is error 9? It does not seems like a socket error code...
Is this a MAC-specific error code?

Igor Gomon
e-mail: giv_ua at inbox.ru