[VServer] master.vdb

Erich Geiersberger erichg at mcmm.com
Tue Jan 27 16:12:06 CST 2004

>  >> Erich,
>  >>
>  >> I think you should not move masterdb from one computer to other.
>  >> And you should not distribute it in general.
>  >> Why you do this?
>  >
>  > Then there seems to be a general lack of understanding on my side.
>  > I thought master.vdb is needed by Vserver application to keep track
>  > of the databases.
>  >
>  > If this is not the case, what do I need to do?
>  >
>  > Just add a "database" and "user" table to my own db?
>  > Nothing at all?
>
>What will do your app?

Show some thousand records on medical plants and a lot more.
Users can add data in differnt categories.

>How you want distribute it?

Sure (should have done it last week...)

>Do you need distribute some pre-made database?
>If yes, then this db will be read only?

Yes, I need to distribute a premade database AND the user(s) can add data.

>-----
>Even in last case you can:
>
>1) by installer from CD install Vserver
>     and install required YOUR dbs into Database folder.
>
>     on first run Vserver self will create masterdb on that computer.
>
>2) you can write in your code script that ONCE will check that YOUR dbs are
>not registered and register them.
>

>Erich, do not take my words as totally correct.
>Vserver is new thing.
>And we self discover yet what we can do with it :-)

Sure, I know.

I know vserver will create a new one and I can register afterwards,
but this involves a lot of additional scripts at least on OSX where I
need to restart before I can register.
Therefore the installer has already been stopped BEFORE i can
register my DB. So I need to add code to the client installations.
Is there somethiing basically wrong with my way of distributing a
per-made master.vdb?

I want to keep installer and applications as seperate parts.