[V4MD_Client] Error 363, 351 and timeouts

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Jan 12 14:31:58 CST 2004

on 1/12/04 2:23 PM, Erich Geiersberger at erichg at mcmm.com wrote:

>>> Disconnects / timeout:
>>> What's the best way of tracking for errors in the following scenario.
>>>
>>> Some clients are logged in. One of them gets disconnected from the
>>> database due to the ini settings.
>>> His program (still running) will throw errors, when he tries to
>>> access the database after this type of disconnect. Do I need to track
>>> for errors on ANY Xtra call to see if he's still connected? What
>>> specific type of error should I track for? Or Is there an easier way?
>>
>> I think that if you have obtain client-side cursor, then all data are on
>> client, and you still can iterate this cursor even to be disconnected.
>
> Hmm, but didn't you you recommended to use server side cursors
> instead of client side?

Not always.

1) you MUST use server side cursor IF you want modify records,
    because client-side cursor is ALWAYS read-only.

2) I have recommend for developers that work with LOCAL SDK to use
kServerSide in ALL or most places. But they still can use kClientside in
some places where this is needed.

3) client-side cursor must NOT be used for BIG selections.
    but if you know that you get only 10-20 records, and you will
    read them, then client-side is good choice.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com