A handful of questions and a couple of documentation errors

Igor Gomon giv at tlc.kherson.ua
Mon Jan 12 13:18:41 CST 2004

> > This should be reletad with the number of concurrent connections.
> > Say if you know that you concurrent connection to VServer will
> > almost never exceed 5 than you can leave this value by default.
> > By if you know that you typically should have about 20 concurrent
> > connections that it's better to increase this value to 15-20.
>
> Igor I think this is NOT very correct.
>
> People can think that if they expect 100 connections then they need
> set 100 threads. This will be bad idea.
IMHO I told nothing assuming that concurrent connection
count is limited by the number of threads. I just told that 'it's better to
increase this value to the number connections' but the server with
just 1 running thread can still serve 100 simultaneous connections
but it's responsibility may be very slow. So to increase responsibility
it's better to set this variable(THREADS) to the reasonable value,
which is, I think, for most cases is 5-20. Greater values can also be
used (up to 100), but this can then affect overall server performance
due to context switching.
So, for the case when 100 simultaneous connections are expected
I'll advise to start from values near to 30-50. Then test it. And only
if the server responsibility is still slow then try to set greater values.

Igor Gomon
e-mail: giv_ua at inbox.ru