Adding Records at Start

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Jan 8 09:59:25 CST 2004

on 1/8/04 2:43 AM, Mark Maslowski at mark at majico.com wrote:

>> What it looks like you need is to have all level_1 records with the same
>> name to have the same ID.
>>
>> Level_1 Level_2        ID
>> Horse   Arab            2
>> Horse   Thoroughbred    2
>> Fish    Carp            1
>> Fish    Goldfish        1
>> Fish    Shark           1
>>
>> Using SELECT DISTINCT Level_1 Order by ID
>>
>> Will sort this out into two records with Fish first followed by Horse.
>>
>> If you then want to sort Level_2 as well you would probably need to have a
>> secondary sort ID.
>
> My, aren't we clever! ;)  Yes, that seems to have worked.
>
> Thanks a million!

It is good that it works now.

But Mark,

I want want you that you have NOT GOOD db structure!

As you see YOU HAVE DUPLICATES.
This is EXACT SIGN that you have bad design yet.

You can wish to split data into several tables,
Or may be use Table with self - recursion because in your task you can have
any number of levels.

In IDEAL, you must not have DUPLICATE data.

Think about this.
You can read in any RDBMS book rules of table normalization.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com