Adding Records at Start

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Jan 7 23:32:04 CST 2004

on 1/7/04 10:39 PM, Mark Maslowski at mark at majico.com wrote:

>> Try simply
>>
>>   SELECT DISTINCT level_1 FROM resources
>
> Well, this is what I had originally and it works, However, since suddenly I
> cannot count on the order of the data being stored in the database, I needed
> to add, as many have suggested, an ID field. Of course, having an ID field
> doesn't do any good at all if I CAN'T USE IT TO SORT!

Hmm,

But you do something strange then.

You have 10 records with the same value in level_1
You want DISTINCT them to produce just ONE record.

Then it is not clear way to use 10 indexes in that 10 records.
You cannot guess which one index will be choosed.
You see?

You have told you want make this cursor to produce menu?
This menu contains strings from level_1 ?

Then why it must be sorted not in alphabetical order of level_1,
But in order of index ???

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com