HTML in XML dumps

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Feb 27 14:45:50 CST 2004

>on 2/27/04 12:21 PM, Marcus Bointon at marcus at synchromedia.co.uk wrote:
>
>>  I have a database that contains HTML formatting in a text field. I've
>>  noticed that this data is disappearing when I export to XML and rebuild the
>>  DB from the dump. Does Valentina not cope with this combination? Do
>>  I/valentina need to do XML entity replacement on my HTML content?
>
>Frankly saying we never have consider such task.
>
>And I wonder why and how it remove your formatting
>
>--
>Best regards,
>Ruslan Zasukhin      [ I feel the need...the need for speed ]

I think the solution is not to remove the formatting but to encode
the field so the HTML formatting does not confuse XML. The encoding
can be done at the export/dump time or Marcus can store his fields
already encoded.

I use the latter approach in my projects since it allows me to encode
selectively only specific characters (I use a unix-like backslash
encoding) thus keeping the text fully readable. But I also keep most
of my html code in external template files which are emrged with
content upon demand. This allows me to modify templates independently
from page content.

Robert