[vxcmd] field maintenance

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Thu Feb 26 15:04:12 CST 2004

Ruslan, I am slowly getting handle on the malfunctioning SQL calls in
my program recently moved from vxcmd 1.8.10 to 1.9.6 (classic) -- I
mean I am rewriting them so they work as expected. But now, I have
discovered a strange set of problems.

get Valentina("BaseObject_ChangeFieldType",boRef,fldName,fldType,fldLength)

When I change field type to String or VarChar, no matter what
fldLength I specify, I get 20. Fld type is set correctly.
Fortunately, BaseObject_ChangeFieldLength works, so I get what I want
eventually.

get
Valentina("BaseObject_MakeNewField",boRef,fldName,fldType,fldSize,
fldLanguage)

When I create a new field, the size is set correctly, but language is
always ascii.

get Valentina("BaseObject_ChangeFieldLanguage",boRef,fldName,fldLanguage)

I can't seem to be able to change language setting. It is always set
to ascii. At least, that is what

get Valentina("Field_GetLanguage",fldRef)

returns. They also show as ascii in Vapp regardless what I set in my
program. If I set language in Vapp, it still shows as ascii in my
program, although going back to Vapp shows the language set there.

The syntax for these calls hasn't changed as far as I can see. Any ideas?

Robert