[V4MD] Classic and OS X projectors

Nathan Friesen nfriesen at dyton.com
Mon Feb 23 12:50:16 CST 2004

On Feb 23, 2004, at 10:28 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> on 2/23/04 6:16 PM, Nathan Friesen at nfriesen at dyton.com wrote:
>
> Hi Nathan,
>
>> I'm having some problems with the Valentina Xtra when I try to make a
>> Classic projector in Director. When I make an OS X projector I can
>> imbed the V4MD_carbon Xtra in the projector and everything seems to
>> work fine. When I try to make a Classic version of the projector most
>> Xtras find their classic version in the "Classic MacOS" folder, but
>> for
>> Valentina I get an error message that V4MD_carbon can't be found (or
>> something along those lines) Is this because the name of the Xtra for
>> Classic is V4MD_classic?
>
> V4MD for Classic has name  V4MD.Xtra
>
> Aha, so Director MS have special folder "Classic MacOS"
> Which also have Xtra subfolder.
>
> IT is shame on me, but I have never see it.
> Now it is clear how Director MX should choose between Xtras.
>
> Natahan, let's clarify.
>
> So you have download both V4MD and V4MD_Carbon archives, yes?

Yes.

> Put Xtras into corresponded folders:
>
>     V4MD Classic    into    Director MX/Classic MacOS/Xtras/V4MD.Xtra
>     V4MD Carbon     into    Director MX/Xtras/V4MD_Carbon.Xtra
>
> Yes?

Yes.

>> I've heard that the way to work around this is to not imbed the Xtras
>> in the projector, and instead put them in an Xtras folder in the same
>> directory as the projector. I tried this, putting both the
>> V4MD_classic
>> and the V4MD_carbon Xtras in an Xtras folder, and this seemed to work
>> for the classic application. Unfortunately, this causes the carbon
>> application to crash right away.
>
> I think that in projector you must repeat folder hierarchy.
>
>     Projector
>         Xtras/V4MD_Carbon.Xtra
>         Classic MacOS/Xtras/V4MD.Xtra
>
> Check this.

I tried this and the carbon projector was able to find its Xtra, but
the classic projector gave me a script error when it tried to use the
Xtra.

Here's a link to what to do with the BuddyAPI Xtra (which also doesn't
compile the classic version into the projector):
http://bne001w.webcentral.com.au/read?377822,325 Using this format, I
set up my hierarchy like this:

    Classic Projector
    Carbon Projector
    Xtras
       classic
          V4MD.Xtr
       os_x
          V4MD_Carbon.Xtr
    other assets

I've been able to get it to work by structuring the CD this way:

    other assets
    Classic
       Classic Projector
       Xtras
          V4MD.Xtr
    Carbon
       Carbon Projector
       Xtras
          V4MD_Carbon.Xtr

But this buries the projector within a folder, and then the projector
needs to look up a level to work with the shared assets.

Is there something I'm not doing right? Thanks

Nathan

Nathan Friesen
Dyton, Inc.
2302 West 1st Street
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
P: 319.277.8418
F: 319.277.8417

www.dyton.com

------
    Where there is no vision, the people perish.
      - Proverbs
------