Reading RecID after Add()

James Milne james.milne at mac.com
Mon Feb 23 17:47:45 CST 2004

Hi Guys,

I'm wanting to insert a record into a table after having used an empty
cursor to insert it, like so:

   Dim statement as String
   Dim resultSet as VCursor
   Dim recordId as Integer

   ' Create statement to get empty resultset
   statement = "select RecID, * from timeline where RecID = 0"

   ' Execute statement to get empty resultset
   resultSet = me.db.SqlSelect( statement, kV_Client, kV_ReadWrite )
   if (resultSet = nil) then
     return nil
   end if

   ' Clear this cursor
   resultSet.SetBlank()

   ' Set the fields of the cursor ready to create a record
   resultSet.VarcharField("name") = inName

   ' Create this recored
   if not resultSet.Add() then
     return nil
   end if

   if not resultSet.Update() then
     return nil
   end if

After the Add, I want to read the RecID generated back out. Will this
work
correctly?

   ' Read the record ID
   recordId = resultSet.ULongField("RecID")

--
James Milne