[V4RB] Performances variations

Stan Busk maxprog at mac.com
Fri Feb 20 14:24:39 CST 2004

Hi,

I have a strange problem. My application loads from the internet dozens
of thousands of messages I store to a Valentina Database. Browsing thru
records is fast. I quit the application and launch it back and it
remains fast but as soon as I  shut down the computer and start it back
browsing is much much slower, including to show single records I get
thru SQL queries. I am really puzzled. I have repeated the test several
times and it always behave the same way, as soon as your restart the
computer browsing is much slower, the application becomes sluggish...
only workaround is deleting all the database files and downloading all
the thousands records again, it becomes fast as hell...including
quitting and starting the application back... I have tried with several
RB versions (oficial and last beta), on a G5 Dual, a G4 and an iBook.
Is there something I should consider? By the way if for example I have
20,000 records and it is sluggish because I just restarted and I
download 10,000 more records it becomes fast!... including on first
20,000 records!...It  seems nonsense... I use a cache of 50*1024*1024
(changing it seems useless) and a segment size of 32*1024 (that I
believe it is the default) and last V4RB 1.10. Question is what can I
do to maintain always the same speed? The table has the following
structure:

   mFrom         = new VText     ("Article_From", 128, "ASCII", -1)
   mDateSent     = new VDateTime ("Article_DateSent", kV_Indexed)
   mDateReceived = new VDateTime ("Article_DateReceived")
   mSubject      = new VText     ("Article_Subject", 128, "ASCII", -1)
   mLines        = new VLong     ("Article_Lines")
   mNumber       = new VLong     ("Article_Num" )
   mStatus       = new VvarChar  ("Article_Status", 32, "ASCII",
kV_Indexed)
   mReferences   = new VText     ("Article_References", 128, "ASCII",
kV_IndexByWords)
   mMessageID    = new VvarChar  ("Article_MessageID", 128, "ASCII",
kV_Indexed + kV_Unique)
   mNewsgroups   = new VText     ("Article_Newsgroups",  128, "ASCII",
kV_IndexByWords)
   mBody         = new VText     ("Article_Body", 128, "ASCII", -1)
   mHeader       = new VText     ("Article_Header", 128, "ASCII", -1)

The reason why I use VText is because
mFrom,mSubject,mReferences,mNewsgroups fields  can be from 1 char up to
998 and mBody and mHeader has no limit.

TIA,
~/Stan