VXCMD_Client_Classic_MC

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Feb 18 11:38:19 CST 2004

>  > Ken, as far as I know, the names of resources are not wired to
>>  anything (except how they are called from Transcript), so you can
>>  rename them yourself. The only thing to figure out is how to call the
>>  right one at the right time. Of top of my head, this can be done by
>>  either duplicating the handlers for each mode or using a passthru
>>  function that knows whether you are in server or local mode and calls
>>  one or the other name.
>
>Actually, I think the problem is attaching the externals properly. If I
>attach two externals (one VXCMD and one VXCMD Client) to a Rev stack,
>they will both have the same "Valentina" entrypoint, won't they? How
>will Rev know to use the VXCMD Client when I make the call to
>Valentina("New Database", host, ...) instead of the standalone VXCMD?
>
>Ken Ray
>Sons of Thunder Software
>Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
>Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/

Ken, the entry points into externals are normalized per API. The
resource name is just an external binder. Try it out. Rename
Valentina to Valentina2. Any call to valentina will fail. But if you
change your transcripts to use valentina2, they should work fine
again. Or so they should :)

The only thing to worry about is that each external finds the correct
library since the externals are really just a passthru code to call
the shared library. But Ruslan says that each external knows its
shared library and they are distict, so there should not be a problem
at that level.

Ruslan, having to use a different valentina call for local and server
activities may actually be a good approach for coding.

get valentina ("SqlSelect",dbName,query)
get valentina_server ("SqlSelect",dbName,query)

This way it is easy to keep track which code works locally and which
works remotely, particularly for programs that support both modes in
parallel. While most Valentina functions are the same, they are not
exactly the same and server has more of them. It is also easy to
switch from local to remote and vice versa.

Robert Brenstein