.blb file not shrinking after deleting ALL entries

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Feb 16 17:47:18 CST 2004

on 2/16/04 12:03 PM, Robert Brenstein at rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de wrote:

>> COMPACT should move it down.
>>
>> You can use XML dump then to get smaller db.
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Ruslan Zasukhin      [ I feel the need...the need for speed ]
>
> Does COMPACT actually rewrite the physical file or compacts only
> internal files? If the latter, then disk space allocation might not
> change even if the file is empty.

No Robert.

It will go down.

Database file -- this is virtual file system with segments 32KB

Assume a BLOB file have eat 2 segment 64 KB.
But it have more than half deleted BLOB blocks.

COMPACT must remove INSIDE of logical BLOB file empty spaces,
So its size must become less of 32KB
And this means that ONE segment of file system will become free.

Valentina then take LAST PHYSICAL segment of file system and MOVE to free
one. Size of db file truncated on size of one segment.,

Just COMPACT was implemented NOT for all cases I think.
Too many cases.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com