Compact?

Martin Kloss martin.kloss at gmx.de
Fri Feb 6 14:55:01 CST 2004

At 13:27 06.02.2004, you wrote:
>I have to agree with Ruslan and well the majority of the DB programmers
>out there (At least the ones doing things properly). You should never use
>*, it just opens you up for trouble. Personally I've never found a need
>for a table with 30 fields. You'll probably find with a little work you
>could make your DB alot more relational and it would probably make things
>faster, more stable and alot easier to update in the future. I'm to the
>point where if I need to I'll make 5 tables instead of one because it
>saves so much time in the long run and makes the database design so much
>more logical.

Hmm, it depends. I recently had to decide to put a couple of fields in the
same table
I would usually have put into different tables, so I was consciously
violating normalization rules.
I had to do it, because doing an OR condition for fields in different
tables does not work in 1.x
and I can't wait for 2.0, so in some cases design depends on required
functionality.

Martin.

Martin Kloss

Like the author? Buy the book: