Compact?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Feb 5 23:27:32 CST 2004

on 2/5/04 10:20 PM, Ken Ray at kray at sonsothunder.com wrote:

> When I delete a field from a table and then add a new field, it goes in
> the "slot" taken up from the field I deleted. If I don't want that to
> happen (for example, I want the new field to go "at the end") how would
> I make that happen? Does compacting the DB from VAPP do that?

No, Compact do other work -- it remove empty space in database.

You talk about "feature", that if we delete field in table, then new field
is inserted into its place.

No way avoid this now.

In 2.0 we will try to make

    ID of field
    Position of field

We have not work on this yet.

Position will allow us, virtually (not physically) assign order of fields.
Similar to FileMaker.

In the same time, all BIG DBMS guys say:
    NEVER DEPEND on field order !!!

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com