V4RB Windows VarChar Error 351

Cindy Brown cindy at kowhaiprogramming.com
Mon Feb 2 11:19:06 CST 2004

Hi Ruslan,

>> I am not absoultely sure what condition makes it happen, but I am
>> quite sure that the message is wrong. It seemed to happen when we
>> tried to read from a freshly edited record while it got flushed to
>> disk.
>
> Agree Erich, that message wrong.
>
> Igor, try to reproduce this.
> Erich have give good details it seems.
>
> And
>
> 1) Cindy use not Valentina server but own one
> 2) as I see, he get db files really corrupted.

As far as I can see, Erich is right. I put in error messages in my server
and workstations recently to make sure I know if the databases have been
corrupted. This works fine on Macintosh. I assumed that if the database was
coming up with an error that it would mean it was corrupt. Without VAPP on
windows it is difficult to check. Once I took these error checks out, the
database appears to be working much better. Strangely enough, before I took
the checks out, it was bringing up a varchar error when adding to a database
that has no varchar fields!!!

It appears to me that the database has a definite messaging error for
varchar, particularly on windows, when there isn't actually an error. I
could probably have done without this as I have spent four days on working
on an issue that may not have been as bad as I thought it was.

By the way, I am a she, not a he.

--

Cindy Brown
Programmer

Kowhai Programming Systems
PO Box 198, Invercargill
81 Marama Avenue South, 9RD Invercargill
Phone (03) 213 1243
Fax (03) 213 1248
Mobile (021) 354 930
<http://www.kowhaiprogramming.com/>