I want to make Class/Control that join few controls

James Milne james.milne at mac.com
Tue Dec 28 22:06:46 CST 2004

On 28 Dec, 2004, at 21:54, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> On 12/28/04 11:50 PM, "Norman Palardy" <palardyn at shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> I have ask self. Can I create in REALbasic some class,
>>> which joins several other controls
>>>     (buttons, radio, check boxes, edit fields...)
>>>
>>> And then DECLARE this as SINGLE control ?
>>>
>>> I.e. I want to be able
>>>
>>> 1) to have this control on the tool panel.
>>> 2) to drag and drop it from tools panel to Window.
>>> 3) to see that dragged control on window....
>>> 4) move this control as group.
>>> 5) edit its properties in the property window.
>>>
>>> Can I do this ?
>>>
>>> If no then Hmm, why?
>>> Visual BASIC allow me such tricks.
>>> I can create new control using VB itself.
>>> There is no need do C++ development.
>>> And I believe VB allow me even inherit from one such control and
>>> extend its
>>> features to create even more smart one.
>>>
>> Check out the embeddable window which allows you to do this sort of
>> thing
>
> Excellent Norman!
> Thank you for point.
>
> So only RB 6 will have such feature...
>
> embeddable window have ALL properties that I have list above?

Yes. You can even add methods, properties, events to an embeddable
window, and they will be available in the windows that you 'drop' the
embeddable window into.

You can also create an instance of an embeddable window in code, and
set its top, left, width and height, etc. However, you will not be able
to implement its events if you create it with code. I have a feeling
that there might be appear mechanism in RB6 that would solve that
problem, though :-)

--
Kind Regards,
James Milne